Editoras e emissoras Equipes de marketing de conteúdo Equipes de RP e comunicação Equipes de risco e inteligência Jornalistas e profissionais de imprensa Monitoramento de mídia Preços
AW

Amy Walker

Justiça criminal e tribunais · United Kingdom
Compilado a partir de fontes públicas
Cobre
Criminal Justice & Courts Breaking News & General Assignment Conflict & Security Social Issues & Demographics Travel & Tourism Immigration

Trabalho publicado

Manchester Evening News Aug 2026
Man's drunken, sweary tirade on Jet2 flight before 300 passengers had 'holidays ruined'
Jason Mulhern, 57, was sentenced after drunkenly abusing Jet2 cabin crew and calling them Nazis during a delayed flight from Manchester to Dalaman in June 2024. The captain had him and his wife removed, forcing the aircraft to return to the stand and ultimately be cancelled because of safe flying-hour restrictions, disrupting the travel plans of roughly 300 passengers and affecting passengers in Turkey awaiting the return flight. Mulhern received an eight-month sentence suspended for 18 months, 300 hours of unpaid work, an alcohol abstinence order, rehabilitation requirements and costs, and was permanently banned from flying with Jet2. The airline is seeking £44,710 in compensation.
Manchester Evening News Aug 2026
The criminals jailed in Greater Manchester this week – full details of each case
Greater Manchester courts jailed or sentenced several serious offenders during the week. Syed Ahmad received a life sentence with a minimum term of 27 years and two months for murdering his wife, Anam Rafay, in a prolonged knife attack after she sought a divorce. Malkiat Rai was jailed for seven and a half years for historic sexual offences against a child, while Szuhel Lee received 27 months for attempting to communicate sexually with a child and possessing indecent images. Both Douk Deng was jailed for two years after taking weapons to a Heywood school. Alan Ronald Ohara received two years and four months for helping supply cocaine and heroin through Rochdale’s Adam drugs line; alleged controller Haider Ali awaits sentencing, while Shane Walsh received a community order.
Manchester Evening News Jul 2026
Judge's cutting retort as brutal wife killer sobs and wails in the dock
Syed Ahmad was sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 27 years and two months for murdering his wife, Anam Rafay, in Wythenshawe. The court heard that Ahmad had subjected Rafay to years of controlling and abusive behaviour, including financial restriction, isolation and physical violence, before repeatedly stabbing her after she sought a divorce and began a relationship with another man. Rafay escaped to a neighbour's house, but Ahmad followed and attacked her again, then informed relatives that he had killed her. Judge Suzanne Goddard KC found the killing deliberate, sustained and brutal, rejected Ahmad's claims about his mental health, and criticized the tears he shed during sentencing.
Manchester Evening News Jul 2026
John Soyoye murder trial told gangs mobilised their troops following call to arms
Prosecutors told Manchester Crown Court that a feud between the Moston-based M40 gang and Rochdale and Oldham group Representing the Danger escalated after a stabbing in Piccadilly Gardens. They allege RTD members mobilised for revenge, overwhelmed M40 members in Moston and repeatedly attacked Alexander John Soyoye with knives and other weapons, leaving him to die. Seven people have previously been convicted in connection with his murder, while Ruben Candiza, Valdo De-Almeida, Marco Veiga and Emerson Teta are now on trial for murder and violent disorder. All four deny the charges.
Manchester Evening News Jul 2026
Jurors shown footage of clash between 'rival gangs' in Moston before teenager allegedly murdered
Prosecutors told Manchester Crown Court that a feud between Moston's M40 gang and the Rochdale and Oldham-based Representing the Danger group led to a violent confrontation on November 5, 2020. CCTV and cell-site evidence allegedly showed 13 RTD members travelling to Moston to retaliate after Francesco Raji's brother was stabbed. Alexander John Soyoye was reportedly isolated during the clash, assaulted and stabbed, suffering 15 injuries before dying at the scene. Six people have already been convicted of murder and another of manslaughter. Ruben Candiza, Valdo De-Almeida, Marco Veiga and Emerson Teta deny murder and violent disorder; the trial is continuing.
Manchester Evening News Jul 2026
Failed asylum seeker armed with hammer at school 'wanted attention'
Both Douk Deng, a South Sudanese man whose asylum applications had been refused three times, was jailed for two years after pleading guilty to criminal damage and possessing a hammer, hatchet, knife and petrol near schools in Heywood and Rochdale. The court heard he wanted to attract attention to his immigration situation rather than harm children, while the defence described him as distressed and frustrated by his inability to work or obtain assistance. A judge said the Home Office should address his status, and Greater Manchester Police said officers acted swiftly to protect the public despite finding no clear motive or intent to harm.
Manchester Evening News Jul 2026
Stalker captured loitering outside ex's house on doorbell footage
Jason Sharp, 35, pleaded guilty to stalking his former partner after repeatedly loitering outside her Swinton home, appearing on her Ring doorbell at night, making frequent calls and behaving aggressively during an incident in which she picked him up. Manchester Crown Court heard that the victim felt frightened, depressed, suicidal and increasingly anxious. Sharp, who had spent about five months on remand, received an 18-month community order with rehabilitation and alcohol treatment requirements, plus a £250 fine and court costs.
Manchester Evening News Jul 2026
The criminals locked up in Greater Manchester this week - full details of each case
A Manchester Evening News roundup details convictions and prison sentences handed down in Greater Manchester courts during the week. Mohammad Bashir received a life sentence with a minimum 17-year term for plotting a terrorist attack with synagogue attacker Jihad Al-Shamie, while Terrence King was jailed for life with a minimum term of 16 years and one day for murdering teenager Devon Simmonds-Caines with a car. Other cases involved child sexual abuse, terrorist material, armed robbery, knife crime and historic abuse by former Boys' Brigade leader Stewart Knowles and co-defendant Andrew Lord.
Manchester Evening News Jul 2026
Man accused of murder claimed 'voice' warned wife would 'smash his head in'
Syed Ahmad, 45, denies murdering his wife, Anam Rafay, and is on trial at Manchester Crown Court. Prosecutors allege he had been controlling and abusive, stabbed Rafay repeatedly with a kitchen knife, and later told the family WhatsApp group that he had killed her. Giving evidence, Ahmad said he was experiencing a psychotic episode, heard voices and experienced flashbacks suggesting his wife would attack him, and could not remember the stabbing. He described the incident as a pre-emptive act and said another personality had committed it. He denies both murder and the alternative charge of manslaughter.
Manchester Evening News Jul 2026
Cries of 'coward' as family faces teenager's murderer in court
Terrence King was jailed for life with a minimum term of 16 years and one day after being convicted of murdering 15-year-old Devon Simmonds-Caines in Middleton. King deliberately drove into Devon, who was riding a stolen e-bike, at almost twice the speed limit, causing fatal injuries. Devon's family described his grief, ambitions to study fashion and start a clothing business, and the profound psychological impact of his death, while police expressed hope that the verdict would bring some closure.
Manchester Evening News Jul 2026
Killer driver who mowed down teenager in unlawful act of retribution jailed for life
A 60-year-old man, Terrence King, was sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 16 years and one day for murdering 15-year-old Devon Simmonds-Caines by deliberately driving into him at high speed in Middleton. Prosecutors showed footage of King pursuing and striking the teenager, who had earlier been involved in robbing an e‑bike. Devon died from catastrophic injuries at the scene. Family members delivered emotional statements describing their loss, while the defence argued there was no intent to kill but acknowledged remorse. The judge condemned King's act as unlawful retribution and stressed that the robbery did not justify the fatal response.
Manchester Evening News Jul 2026
Her dad suspected she was vaping, the truth was far more sinister
A Salford man, Peter West, received an eight‑year prison sentence plus six years on licence for grooming and repeatedly sexually abusing a teenage girl he met on Telegram. Her father discovered explicit messages while searching her room, leading to a police investigation that uncovered multiple offences including sexual activity with a child, inciting sexual activity, and creating and distributing indecent images. Evidence showed repeated meetings at West’s home, drug use, and extensive image sharing. In court, prosecutors detailed the coercive nature of the abuse, while the defence cited declining mental health. The judge labelled West’s conduct a relentless pursuit undeterred by authorities. Greater Manchester Police commended the victim’s courage and urged others to report similar crimes.