الناشرون وهيئات البث فرق تسويق المحتوى فرق العلاقات العامة والاتصال فرق المخاطر والاستخبارات الصحفيون والمهنيون الإعلاميون الرصد الإعلامي الأسعار
EB

Edward Barnes

القضايا الاجتماعية والديموغرافيا · United Kingdom
تم تجميعه من مصادر عامة
المجالات التي يغطيها
Breaking News & General Assignment Social Issues & Demographics Politics & Government Criminal Justice & Courts Housing & Real Estate Services & Production

الأعمال المنشورة

Manchester Evening News Aug 2026
Oldham council set to be taken over by UK government as situation escalates amid 'nasty' rows
Oldham Council remains without a leader or cabinet after local elections produced a deadlocked authority and seven proposals failed at an extraordinary meeting on August 20. The council's chief legal officer has declared that it is breaking the law because leadership is a statutory requirement, while officials warn of risks to accountability, key services, funding and representation across Greater Manchester. Government oversight has intensified, and council officers will request intervention that could result in commissioners being appointed later this year. Councillors have blamed toxic, hostile and increasingly personal political disputes, while the council says services continue to operate normally.
Manchester Evening News Aug 2026
Stockport council slammed and labelled 'the worst' for new homes after damning figures released
Government figures show Stockport delivered 1,457 homes against a target of 3,408 between 2022 and 2025, or 43% of the required total, placing it at the bottom of the North West housing-delivery table. The shortfall has triggered a 20% housing-land buffer and a presumption in favour of residential applications, potentially increasing pressure for greenbelt development. Labour group leader Rachel Wise called Stockport the worst-performing council in the North of England, citing more than 9,500 households in housing need and waits of up to 12 years. Liberal Democrat leader Mark Roberts blamed delays under previous Labour and Conservative governments and defended the council's brownfield-focused local plan. Despite the poor overall figures, Stockport has been praised for expanding social-rent housing, while town-centre regeneration projects including Weir Mill and Hatters Yard are progressing.
Manchester Evening News Aug 2026
Nearly 200 New Homes Planned for 'Beautiful' Oldham Valley Alongside New Metrolink Stop
Plans submitted to Oldham Council propose up to 192 homes at Birshaw Farm in the Beal Valley, north of Oldham, as part of a wider Places for Everyone development. The broader scheme could eventually deliver around 2,000 homes, industrial and warehouse space, education facilities, a new road and a Metrolink stop at Broadbent Moss. Developers say the project would provide green spaces, wetlands, walking and cycling routes, 551 new trees, construction jobs and additional local economic and council-tax revenue. Residents have criticized the loss of farmland and fear the development would damage the valley’s landscape, wildlife and established communities.
Manchester Evening News Aug 2026
The nightmare Oldham street where people do not give 'a s***' about the rules
Residents of Waterloo Street in Glodwick, Oldham, say persistent illegal parking on double yellow lines, pavements and grass verges is creating safety risks, blocked roads and evening disputes. The Manchester Evening News observed at least 16 illegally parked cars during a daytime visit, while local videos claimed as many as 125 vehicles had been parked illegally over several hours. Oldham Council says it has issued 252 penalty charge notices on the street since 1 January, including 44 after 5pm, and will continue enforcement. Residents and local business owners argue that enforcement remains inadequate, with limited public transport, increased car ownership and the planned closure of an alleyway potentially worsening the problem.
Manchester Evening News Aug 2026
Fast food takeaway in Stockport village faces battle amid fears it could disturb neighbours until 2am
Freddy's Chicken and Pizza in Gatley is seeking permission to open until midnight from Sunday to Thursday and until 2am on Fridays and Saturdays. Stockport Council environmental health officers and Greater Manchester Police oppose the application, citing nearby flats, previous complaints about extraction-system noise, inadequate operating-plan details, missing noise-impact evidence and concerns over crime, public nuisance and safety. Police also say the proposed hours conflict with council policy. The application process had to be restarted after it was not advertised as legally required. Operator Shaikh Farhan Ahmed has proposed staff training, CCTV, incident recording, safety checks and measures to minimise noise, with the licensing committee due to consider the application on August 20.
Manchester Evening News Aug 2026
All the roads drivers should watch out for across Greater Manchester
Drivers across Greater Manchester are warned to expect delays from roadworks, emergency repairs and utility projects. The article lists closures, temporary traffic lights, lane restrictions and diversions affecting roads in areas including Bury, Bolton, Manchester, Oldham, Salford, Stockport, Tameside, Trafford and Wigan, with some disruption continuing into 2027. Transport for Greater Manchester is identified as the source for full roadworks information.
Manchester Evening News Aug 2026
Farm boss speaks out as beautiful Stockport village split in two
Residents of Compstall are divided over the impact of festivals at Whitebottom Farm, with complaints about late-night noise, litter, drug use, traffic, property damage and effects on wildlife. Farm owner Karl Hancock says the business is investing in infrastructure, security and crowd-management measures while working to resolve problems. Other residents believe the festivals bring visitors and income to the area. Stockport Council says it is taking concerns seriously and will continue working with residents, the farm and partner agencies to find a balanced solution.
Manchester Evening News Aug 2026
First look inside Stockport's 'hottest' new neighbourhood with 'really cool' vibe
The Weir Mill development beneath Stockport’s railway viaduct will open to the public on August 22, with its first residents moving in later in the month. Developed by Capital&Centric, the scheme includes 253 rental apartments, a riverside Italian restaurant, a wine bar, a bookshop and a women’s sports bar; eight of its nine commercial units are already let. Stockport officials and the developer hope the mixed-use neighbourhood, event spaces and distinctive viaduct setting will attract visitors from across Greater Manchester, create a diverse community and contribute to the town’s wider £2 billion regeneration programme.
Manchester Evening News Aug 2026
The Stockport allotment 'war' with accusations of harassment, intimidation and a felled plum tree
An eight-year dispute at the Newboult Road allotments in Cheadle has escalated after 80-year-old plot holder Rob McCurrie was barred from the site. McCurrie says concerns he raised about the water supply and a legionella risk, along with the cutting down of his plum tree, led to accusations of defamation, harassment and intimidation. He also argues that proceedings were unfair because he could not attend hearings, including one held shortly after his wife’s funeral. Stockport Council upheld the allotment committee’s decision, citing aggressive and threatening communications, repeated unsubstantiated accusations and a sustained pattern of behaviour. McCurrie rejects those findings, while his supporter Roy Owen calls the process a “kangaroo court.” The National Allotment Society’s North West branch says the matter is closed and no further action will be taken.
Manchester Evening News Aug 2026
Doctor struck off after botched surgery at Royal Oldham Hospital amid 'extreme errors'
A Medical Practitioners Tribunal struck off locum colorectal surgeon Yasser Adly Abdel Rahman after finding that extreme errors during emergency surgery at Royal Oldham Hospital created a life-threatening bowel obstruction and that he failed to provide adequate post-operative care. A second consultant had to perform corrective emergency surgery, which the tribunal said saved the patient’s life. The tribunal also found that Rahman showed no insight, failed to accept responsibility, criticised investigators and provided no evidence of remediation, creating a high risk of repetition and undermining public confidence in the profession.
Manchester Evening News Aug 2026
Oldham couple went through something horrible but are now fighting to make life easier
Oldham couple Cassie and Ryan Claydon lost their daughter Matilda at 36 weeks in 2025 and found registering her stillbirth in person, among families with newborns, deeply traumatic. They have asked Oldham MP Jim McMahon to help change the law so families can register stillbirths remotely by phone, post or video call if they choose. McMahon has introduced a bill in Parliament, arguing that remote registration would offer bereaved families greater compassion and flexibility while preserving in-person registration for those who prefer it.
Manchester Evening News Aug 2026
The bins in Stockport went 'woke', and people are fuming
Stockport Council has begun strictly enforcing an existing rule that wheelie-bin lids must be fully closed, leaving hundreds of residents with uncollected rubbish. Residents criticised the policy as petty and unfair, particularly where bins were overfilled by others or lids opened in the wind, while others supported it as a way to prevent litter, pests and accidents. The council and Totally Local Company cited worker safety and mechanical risks, including a serious 2016 bin-lorry accident. Councillors acknowledged that the change was poorly communicated and that the operational decision blindsided residents and elected representatives. Affected bins are due to be collected by August 9 if lids are closed, with an exception for bins missing lids when waste is level with the top.
Manchester Evening News Aug 2026
Stockport council promises to put things right after major bin backlash
Stockport Council has apologized after nearly 900 blue and black bins went uncollected when crews began enforcing a rule requiring wheelie-bin lids to be fully closed. The council said the policy was reaffirmed for safety reasons but admitted residents and councillors were not properly informed. A recovery plan sets out weekend collections for affected households, provided bins are not overfilled and their lids are fully closed, while normal collections will continue. Opposition parties criticized the Liberal Democrat-run council, which promised to improve communication about future service changes.
Manchester Evening News Jul 2026
Oldham Council declares it is breaking the law
Oldham Council has formally reported that it is acting unlawfully because councillors have been unable to appoint a leader and cabinet following May’s inconclusive elections. The council’s monitoring officer, Alex Bougatef, warned that emergency officer delegations cannot replace political leadership and described the authority as being in prolonged institutional paralysis. Councillors have 21 days to address the issue at another extraordinary meeting; failure could lead to notification of the government and the appointment of commissioners, whose costs may require service cuts, savings or council tax increases.
Manchester Evening News Jul 2026
Fears over 'explosion' heading for Stockport village as people say they've had enough
Residents of Compstall and Marple Bridge say festivals at nearby Whitebottom Farm have caused years of disruptive noise, litter, alleged drug problems and traffic issues. Concerns were also raised that festival camping may encroach on Stockport’s only Site of Special Scientific Interest. Stockport councillors acknowledged the complaints, said they had witnessed or been informed of failings, and stated that discussions with the farm and its owner were continuing, although residents said the problems remained unresolved.
Manchester Evening News Jul 2026
Life in the shadow of an 'absolutely appalling' fire
A major fire at Dovestone Reservoir has burned more than 1,250 football pitches of Greater Manchester moorland, leaving a visible scar and continuing to pose risks despite reduced firefighting operations and recent rain. Residents in Greenfield describe the damage to wildlife, trees and the landscape as deeply upsetting, while some businesses report little direct impact. The fire has also renewed concerns about overcrowding, inadequate parking and road obstruction caused by tourism. Residents call for stronger enforcement, education and prevention measures, including action against barbecues. One woman, Shania Care-Slede, has been remanded in custody and charged with arson, while two other arrests have been made.
Manchester Evening News Jul 2026
‘Sorry!’: Stockport council boss speaks out as nearly 900 bins go uncollected
Stockport council cabinet member Jake Austin apologised after at least 895 wheelie bins were left uncollected when Totally Local Company began more strictly enforcing a longstanding rule requiring bin lids to be closed. The change was introduced for worker-safety and litter-control reasons but was not communicated properly to residents, councillors or senior council officers. Austin accepted responsibility for the disruption, said communication and escalation processes had failed, and promised a review while the council works on solutions for affected households and replacement bins.
Manchester Evening News Jul 2026
‘For me, it’s a death sentence - but what am I going to do?’
Stockport Council is selling the freehold of Stockport Sports Village to Stockport County Education Pathway Limited, a company linked to Stockport County FC. The Life Leisure gym is due to close in December 2026, prompting residents to warn that losing an accessible facility will damage their health, social lives and the wider local economy. James May, 89, and stroke survivor Wendy Bishop are among those concerned that alternative facilities will be too distant or overcrowded. Stockport County chairman Ken Knott defended the sale, citing plans for a new indoor dome, expanded education programmes, continued grassroots bookings and free community activities. The council was approached for comment.
Manchester Evening News Jul 2026
The abuse survivor dumped in a flat 'worse than a pigsty'
An abuse survivor identified as Annie says Manchester council placed her in temporary accommodation with damp, mould, unsafe wiring, poor flooring, a stained mattress protector, initially non-functioning smoke alarms and an insecure front door. She says the conditions worsened her asthma and mental health and that she felt forced to accept the flat or risk homelessness. The council apologised, acknowledged that she should never have been placed there, moved her to new accommodation and said it would stop working with the landlord. The case has raised wider concerns about the closure of the Women in Safe Homes scheme, which supported women experiencing homelessness or domestic abuse. Campaigner Sian Astley criticised the handling of the women’s relocations, while the GMCA and Nacro said alternative support and accommodation were provided after the scheme ended.
Manchester Evening News Jul 2026
Staff working overtime were underpaid at Oldham council-owned company
An audit of Oldham Total Care, a company owned by Oldham Council, found significant financial and governance weaknesses, including late filing of accounts, payroll errors that underpaid staff working overtime, incorrect tax payments, and ineffective debt management. Auditors issued 12 recommendations, while council management said some issues had been resolved and others were being addressed, with efforts underway to improve financial sustainability and governance. The review coincides with political deadlock leaving key council positions unfilled, and separate concerns over rising council tax debt.
Manchester Evening News Jul 2026
Traffic chaos in Oldham as town centre's major flyover junction closes for several weeks
A major flyover closure at the Manchester Street Viaduct in Oldham has caused heavy congestion across the town centre, with the route shut until early September for £6.5 million structural repairs. Oldham Council and the Department for Transport are funding the refurbishment, which includes waterproofing, concrete repairs and resurfacing to address deterioration since the viaduct’s construction in the 1970s. Drivers are being diverted via the Manchester Street roundabout, with separate routes for heavy goods vehicles as authorities work to minimise disruption.
Manchester Evening News Jul 2026
Bee Network offers people free 20-minute bicycle journey with Metrolink lines shut
Major Metrolink lines across Greater Manchester are closed until early August for engineering works, prompting significant travel disruption. Transport for Greater Manchester is offering replacement buses and promoting alternatives, including up to 20 minutes of free daily travel on Starling Bikes in affected areas. New cycle routes and Bee Network bus services are also highlighted as options while officials apologise for delays and urge commuters to plan ahead.
Manchester Evening News Jul 2026
Oldham has more roadworks on key roads than any other Greater Manchester area
Oldham is set to experience the highest number of roadworks on key A and B routes in Greater Manchester, with drivers advised of closures, temporary traffic lights and utility works across the region. Updated details highlight long-term and short-term disruptions affecting multiple boroughs, with full information available through Transport for Greater Manchester.
Manchester Evening News Jul 2026
‘The police knocked on every house on our road and not one of them would give any information’
Residents in Derker, Oldham describe years of fear marked by violent crime, drug activity, and lack of trust in police, exemplified by the unsolved firebombing of Carol Knight’s car in 2023. A major shift occurred when Greater Manchester Police launched Operation Vulcan, bringing heavy enforcement, community engagement, and hundreds of arrests, leading to significant reductions in crime and improved safety. While trust between police and residents has been rebuilt, many fear that with the operation now moved elsewhere, crime could return and a key opportunity to maintain strong community-police relationships may be lost.