Publishers & Broadcasters Content Marketing Teams PR & Comms Teams Risk & Intelligence Teams Journalists & News Professionals Media Monitoring Pricing
EH

Esther Halligan

Criminal Justice & Courts · United Kingdom
Compiled from public sources
Covers
Criminal Justice & Courts Breaking News & General Assignment
Seen in

Published work

Teesside Live Aug 2026
Stockton dad downloaded images of children being raped and abused for nine years
Nigel Jackson, 57, of Stockton, downloaded 117 illegal images depicting children being sexually abused over nine years, using encryption, file deletion and accounts in his children’s names to conceal the activity. Cleveland Police discovered the material after receiving information and seized his devices. Teesside Crown Court sentenced him to nine months in prison, suspended for 18 months, along with 200 hours of unpaid work, rehabilitation requirements, electronic monitoring, a sexual harm prevention order, 10 years of police notification requirements, a lifetime ban on working with children and £1,630 in costs.
Teesside Live Aug 2026
‘Bragging’ Teen Trio Guilty of Murdering David Cuthbert in His Own Home
Layton Lightfoot, Jesse Reaney and Charlie Wilcock were convicted at Teesside Crown Court of murdering 49-year-old David Cuthbert in his Stockton home on January 10, as well as robbing a woman earlier that day. Prosecutors said the attack may have involved a drugs debt or retaliation, and that Wilcock filmed footage of Cuthbert being attacked. The victim’s family described the lasting emotional impact, while police said the trio used violence and weapons to obtain money or drugs and attempted to conceal their involvement. They were remanded in custody and will be sentenced on November 27.
Teesside Live Jul 2026
Thornaby dealer's mum called police 'thinking he was wanted' when he turned up at her home
Connor Farnaby, 28, was sentenced at Teesside Crown Court to three years and four months in prison after a phone seized during a police raid was linked to a known drugs line, with messages showing customers ordering cocaine and cannabis. His mother later contacted police when he appeared at her home, believing he was wanted; officers found him carrying a small axe. Farnaby pleaded guilty to conspiracy to supply class A and B drugs, possession with intent to supply cannabis, possession of a bladed article and possession of a class A drug. His defence said he was homeless, addicted to crack cocaine and acting under the direction of others. He will be eligible for release on licence after serving 16 months and has previous convictions for robbery and drug supply.
Teesside Live Jul 2026
Men found guilty of killing Macaulay Branighan in vicious Stockton attack learn their fate
Stephen Ward was sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 19 years and 84 days for murdering 27-year-old Macaulay Branighan in Stockton. Samuel Tweddle received an extended 13-year sentence—10 years in custody followed by three years on licence—for manslaughter. The court heard that Branighan was chased and attacked by several men, including an unidentified man who wielded a machete, and died three days later from his injuries. The judge found that Ward and Tweddle knew a weapon would be used, while charges against a third man were not brought because of insufficient evidence.
Teesside Live Jul 2026
Killer Callum Howe jailed for 'frenzied' axe attack on best friend in Hartlepool flat
Callum Howe, 23, was sentenced at Teesside Crown Court to 16 years in prison, followed by five years on extended licence, for the manslaughter of his best friend Mohammed Shaan Ali Rasul. Howe attacked Rasul approximately a dozen times with an axe in a Hartlepool flat while under the influence of cocaine and pregabalin. Although cleared of murder, Howe was convicted of manslaughter after claiming self-defence. The judge said the attack was brutal and that Rasul did not stand a chance, while finding Howe posed a significant risk of serious harm in the future. Howe must serve at least two-thirds of his sentence before the case can be considered by the Parole Board.
Teesside Live Jul 2026
Jury go out in trial of mum and boyfriend accused of murdering and sexually abusing toddler
A jury began deliberating in the trial of Alexandra Walker and Harrison Simpson, who deny murdering, sexually assaulting and abusing two‑year‑old Isabelle Welsh. Evidence detailed severe injuries, including 21 fractures and fatal head trauma. Walker claimed Simpson must have inflicted the injuries, while Simpson did not testify. Their respective barristers offered contrasting arguments over who was responsible. The jury retired to consider its verdict.
Teesside Live Jul 2026
Stockton dad found with 11 bags of drugs inside his body and over £1,000 in his sock
A Stockton man, Callum Costello, was convicted of possessing crack cocaine with intent to supply and possessing criminal property after police recovered 11 drug bags from his body and cash from his sock. Despite previous convictions and a history of substance abuse linked to a deprived childhood, the judge cited guidelines for young defendants from disadvantaged backgrounds and suspended a three‑year prison sentence for three years. Costello must complete rehabilitation days, attend an accredited programme, and wear an electronic tag for six months, with a warning that any breach will result in imprisonment.
Teesside Live Jul 2026
Murder-accused mum sobs as she tells court: 'It's like living in a nightmare you can't wake up from'
A mother accused of murdering her two-year-old daughter denied harming the child as she gave emotional testimony at Teesside Crown Court. Alexandra Walker said she was heartbroken by the allegations and insisted she did not know her daughter had been assaulted. She admitted giving inaccurate information to paramedics about putting the child to bed, explaining she had been ashamed of drinking heavily the previous night. Prosecutors allege the toddler suffered extensive injuries before her death, which Walker denies knowing about. The trial continues.
Teesside Live Jul 2026
Footage of hit-and-run driver buying car and hitting pensioner in Redcar
An 18-year-old banned driver, Sonny Horsfall, was jailed for three years after hitting an 84-year-old pedestrian in a Redcar hit-and-run shortly after purchasing a used Audi A4. Footage released by Cleveland Police shows Horsfall boasting about the car before driving to Teesside, mounting a curb and striking the victim, who suffered multiple serious injuries and lost his independence. Horsfall fled the scene and later bought a pizza before being arrested. In court he admitted dangerous driving, driving while disqualified and uninsured, and failing to stop. The victim’s daughter described the incident as devastating for their family.