LR
Lee Ryder
Sport · United Kingdom
Si occupa di
Sports
Business & Economy
Breaking News & General Assignment
Entertainment & Celebrity
Visto su
Lavori pubblicati
The Mirror
Aug 2026
Arsenal set to agree blockbuster Bruno Guimaraes transfer as Newcastle demands finally met
Arsenal and Newcastle have reportedly agreed a £75 million transfer for Bruno Guimaraes, with Arsenal paying the entire fee upfront and without add-ons. Guimaraes had made clear that he wanted to leave Newcastle, while new manager Matthias Jaissle was unable to change his mind. The sale would give Newcastle a substantial profit and funds to reinvest, but it also intensifies concerns about the club losing several key players and its direction under its Saudi Arabian owners. Guimaraes would add further quality to an Arsenal midfield containing Declan Rice, Mikel Merino and Martin Zubimendi.
The Mirror
Jul 2026
Eddie Howe makes telling Bruno Guimaraes transfer admission as Arsenal prepare £70m bid
Eddie Howe says he does not know whether Newcastle United captain Bruno Guimaraes will remain at the club this summer. Arsenal are reportedly preparing a £70 million bid, below Newcastle’s £80 million valuation, while Guimaraes is said to be keen on a move. Newcastle have already sold Sandro Tonali and Anthony Gordon and are under pressure after finishing 12th in the Premier League, although Howe stressed that he wants Guimaraes to stay and expects him to return to preseason training on July 31. Arsenal have not yet made a formal approach, and Newcastle would reject a £70 million offer.
The Mirror
Jul 2026
Anthony Gordon: The best talker in football? Why the England man thinks and speaks differently
Anthony Gordon’s rise from a poor Liverpool upbringing to starring for England and earning a move to Barcelona is traced through his curiosity, mental resilience, and intense work ethic. Former mentors Carlo Ancelotti and Frank Lampard helped shape his development, while challenges such as inconsistent confidence, a turbulent Everton exit, and repeated transfer speculation tested him. At Newcastle he evolved into a key performer before financial pressures and ambition led to his move to Barcelona. Known for thoughtful reflections and a deep interest in psychology, Gordon is portrayed as a driven, articulate player whose mentality and adaptability underpin his emergence as one of England’s standout talents.
The Mirror
Jul 2026
Alan Shearer says it would be extremely harsh to drop England star for Norway
Alan Shearer urges Thomas Tuchel to keep Djed Spence in England's lineup for the World Cup quarter-final against Norway, arguing his recent performances and defensive needs justify his selection. He praises England's display against Mexico, highlighting standout contributions from Anthony Gordon, Bukayo Saka and Jude Bellingham, and supports maintaining the same attacking and midfield structure. Shearer expects Tuchel to continue with a stable defensive core and expresses strong confidence that England can defeat Norway and reach the semi-finals, predicting a 2-1 victory with goals from Gordon and Harry Kane.
The Mirror
Jun 2026
Arsenal put on Sandro Tonali red alert as Man City plot huge move
Manchester City have intensified efforts to sign Sandro Tonali, entering competition with Tottenham and distancing Arsenal, who were put off by wage and agent demands. Spurs previously had an £80m bid rejected, with Newcastle holding out for closer to £100m, while Tonali has agreed provisional terms with Tottenham. Arsenal have shifted focus to Bruno Guimaraes, and City, seeking to replace Bernardo Silva and add midfield depth, remain well positioned due to their financial strength and managerial interest from Enzo Maresca. Newcastle executives signal a willingness to sell only on their terms.
The Mirror
Jun 2026
Sandro Tonali offered massive £86million deal by Tottenham to turn back on Newcastle
Tottenham Hotspur have agreed personal terms with Sandro Tonali on a six‑year deal worth £86 million but still need to meet Newcastle United’s valuation, with an earlier £80 million bid rejected as the Magpies hold out for around £100 million. Newcastle remain open to a sale only on their terms, which could help fund squad plans for Eddie Howe and sporting director Ross Wilson. Tonali’s agent, Giuseppe Riso, has previously discussed the player’s high market value, while Spurs’ pursuit would break their transfer record and result in a total outlay nearing £200 million once fees and bonuses are included.
Daily Mirror
Jun 2026
Newcastle issue clear transfer stance on Bruno Guimaraes as Arsenal 'make approach'
Newcastle United insists Bruno Guimaraes is not for sale despite Arsenal’s reported interest in the Brazil midfielder. Arsenal has reportedly monitored him for years, but sources say no formal enquiry or concrete offer has been made, while Newcastle remains determined to keep its captain. Guimaraes’s comments about the squad needing reinforcements and Newcastle’s decline from fifth to 12th place could fuel speculation, although the club is reportedly more open to Sandro Tonali leaving than Guimaraes. Anthony Gordon has already departed for Barcelona in a £70 million transfer.
The Mirror
Jun 2026
Wayne Rooney argues with Darren Cann as BBC studio gets heated - 'Get knocked out!'
Wayne Rooney and BBC refereeing expert Darren Cann disagreed sharply over whether Bosnia and Herzegovina goalkeeper Nikola Vasilj should have conceded a penalty and received a red card after striking Canada's Tanitoluwa Oluwaseyi in the head during their 1-1 World Cup draw in Toronto. Rooney called the challenge dangerous and argued that the goalkeeper's follow-through could cause a concussion, while Cann said Vasilj played the ball first and that the contact was inevitable rather than serious foul play. Olivier Giroud offered a more balanced assessment, saying he would have been frustrated as a striker but understood Cann's reasoning.
The Mirror
Jun 2026
Wayne Rooney annoyed by Canada boss Jesse Marsch as World Cup decision caught on TV camera
Canada drew 1-1 with Bosnia-Herzegovina in Toronto after Cyle Larin equalised Jovo Lukić’s opener. Wayne Rooney criticised Canada manager Jesse Marsch for conducting an intense post-match team talk in front of television cameras, although he praised Marsch’s energy and the team’s performance. Marsch said Canada had been tentative in the first half but improved after the break and still had everything in hand in Group B.
The Mirror
Jun 2026
Michael Oliver replaced for World Cup match as FIFA gives update on Premier League referee
Premier League referee Michael Oliver has been withdrawn from the Ecuador–Ivory Coast match at the 2026 World Cup because of a minor injury. FIFA appointed François Letexier in his place, while assistant referees Stuart Burt and James Mainwaring were also replaced by Cyril Mugnier and Mehdi Rahmouni. Oliver is expected to recover in time to be considered for the next round of group matches.
The Mirror
Jun 2026
Wayne Rooney responds to Jude Bellingham comments on BBC after England red flag
Wayne Rooney said Jude Bellingham’s admission that England lacked cohesion at Euro 2024 suggests Thomas Tuchel had significant cultural work to do after replacing Gareth Southgate. Rooney argued that keeping all 26 players happy is nearly impossible, while Tuchel is attempting to create a more connected squad by emphasizing leadership and togetherness. Bellingham attributed the previous problems to pressure, high expectations and poor performances, and said England’s players must feel valued, stay prepared and enjoy the experience at the 2026 World Cup.
The Mirror
Jun 2026
Micah Richards reveals his crazy World Cup plans as he makes Gary Lineker quip on BBC
Micah Richards said he plans to travel between New York and the UK every few days during the 2026 World Cup to balance his work on Netflix’s The Rest Is Football Podcast with BBC coverage. Appearing in Salford alongside Wayne Rooney and Olivier Giroud, he joked with presenter Gabby Logan about Gary Lineker appearing in the studio backdrop. Richards and Alan Shearer also discussed the excitement in New York after the Knicks took a 3–1 lead in the NBA Finals, before Richards returned to Manhattan to rejoin the podcast team.
The Mirror
May 2026
Eddie Howe Makes Anthony Gordon Revelation Amid Arsenal Transfer Links
Newcastle United manager Eddie Howe said Anthony Gordon was left on the bench against Nottingham Forest for tactical reasons after returning from injury, but added that he is also considering the club’s future. The comments have intensified speculation that Arsenal could pursue the England winger this summer, with Bayern Munich and Liverpool also linked. Newcastle are not expected to sell cheaply because Everton retain a 15% sell-on clause and Gordon is contracted until 2030, although the club’s financial constraints could make player sales necessary.
The Mirror
Apr 2026
Newcastle United chiefs set for PIF meeting amid LIV Golf announcement
Newcastle United executives are due to meet PIF governor and club chairman Yasir Al-Rumayyan at Matfen Hall to discuss the club’s plans for the 2026/27 season. The meeting comes as Saudi Arabia reportedly ends PIF funding for LIV Golf, prompting concern among Newcastle supporters that the same could happen at St James’ Park. However, reports and statements from PIF and Newcastle CEO David Hopkinson indicate that the club remains a central part of PIF’s strategy through 2030, with the LIV Golf decision described as unrelated to Newcastle.
The Mirror
Apr 2026
Eddie Howe Faces Crunch Talks with PIF at Newcastle United Meeting
Eddie Howe is due to meet Newcastle United chiefs, including representatives of Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund, in a previously scheduled board meeting next week. Although Newcastle’s difficult Premier League campaign and 14th-place position have placed Howe under scrutiny, the meeting is primarily expected to address training-ground and stadium projects, and club leadership is understood to retain confidence in him. Howe may consider adding a coach during the summer, while the club is planning a European preseason camp and seeking to manage player fatigue after the World Cup.
The Mirror
Apr 2026
Eddie Howe 'crisis talks' truth as Newcastle future questioned after Bournemouth loss
Newcastle United suffered a third consecutive Premier League defeat against AFC Bournemouth, intensifying pressure on manager Eddie Howe. Reports that club executives detained Howe for crisis talks after the match were dismissed, but an end-of-season assessment of his record is still expected. Newcastle have lost eight of their last 11 league matches and are in relegation form, while supporters have directed boos at Howe and senior executives. Howe acknowledged that the team is failing to meet expectations, and Kieran Trippier accepted responsibility as players called for unity and rapid improvement with five fixtures remaining.
The Mirror
Apr 2026
Newcastle make Eddie Howe sack decision after tactics row and staff inquest
Eddie Howe is not currently believed to be at risk of being sacked despite Newcastle United's 2-1 defeat by Crystal Palace and mounting pressure over recent results and tactical lapses. Howe and his coaching staff held a post-match inquest, with the team expected to reinforce its playing philosophy in training before facing AFC Bournemouth. The board continues to back Howe and is reportedly planning a summer review, while terminating his contract immediately would be costly. Newcastle sit 14th in the Premier League, five points behind eighth-placed Everton, although a strong finish over the final six matches could ease the pressure.
The Mirror
Apr 2026
Kieran Trippier releases emotional statement as he confirms huge Newcastle decision
Kieran Trippier will leave Newcastle United at the end of the season after four-and-a-half years, with no contract renewal expected. The former England full-back, who joined from Atlético Madrid for £12 million as the first signing after Newcastle's Saudi-led takeover, thanked supporters, teammates, Eddie Howe and the club's staff in an emotional statement. Trippier played a key role in Newcastle's domestic trophy success and two Champions League campaigns. Howe and sporting director Ross Wilson praised his performances, leadership and influence on the club's development, while emphasizing that he still has the remainder of the season to help Newcastle finish strongly.
The Mirror
Mar 2026
Eddie Howe Under Threat as Newcastle CEO Speaks Out After Two-Hour Meeting
Newcastle United CEO David Hopkinson has declined to guarantee Eddie Howe's long-term future after the club's 2-1 Tyne-Wear derby defeat to Sunderland, although he said the club is not currently discussing a managerial change. Hopkinson held a two-hour meeting with Howe and expects the team to finish the season strongly while pursuing European qualification. Newcastle sit 12th in the Premier League but remain in the Champions League last 16. The club also reported record £335.3 million turnover, a 44% rise in commercial income and £34.7 million profit after tax, while acknowledging the financial importance of qualifying for Europe and the need to trade players under financial regulations.
The Mirror
Mar 2026
Newcastle United respond to £1bn sale claims as Saudi owners make stance clear
Newcastle United’s Saudi-backed owners, the Public Investment Fund, reportedly have no intention of selling the club despite claims that they are seeking around £1 billion. PIF executives remain in regular contact with the Newcastle board while chief executive David Hopkinson and sporting director Ross Wilson manage operations. Eddie Howe is expected to remain in place until an end-of-season review, after which the club will assess results and plans for the summer transfer window. The club is also preparing training-ground and St James’ Park improvements, although its 2-1 defeat by Sunderland and resulting fan anger have increased scrutiny.
The Mirror
Mar 2026
Eddie Howe gives telling update on Newcastle future after Sunderland defeat
Eddie Howe says he is fully committed to Newcastle United and will not walk away despite a painful 2-1 Tyne-Wear derby defeat to Sunderland and a 7-2 Champions League loss to Barcelona. Newcastle led through Anthony Gordon, but Chemsdine Talbi equalised before Brian Brobbey scored a late winner, prompting boos from home supporters. Howe accepted responsibility, defended his players and acknowledged that the team deserved criticism, while Newcastle now faces the possibility of finishing in the bottom half of the Premier League.
The Mirror
Mar 2026
Sandro Tonali's agent namechecks Arsenal and Man City in transfer 'goal' admission
Sandro Tonali's agent Giuseppe Riso suggested that moving to Newcastle was intended as a stepping stone toward a bigger club and said Arsenal or Manchester City could pursue the midfielder after the 2026 World Cup. Tonali remains contracted to Newcastle until at least 2028, while manager Eddie Howe insists he is happy, committed and central to the club's plans. Italy must first navigate a playoff to qualify for the tournament.
The Mirror
Feb 2026
Anthony Gordon blasts claims as 'a load of rubbish' as Newcastle stars sent clear message
Anthony Gordon rejected rumours that he is preparing to leave Newcastle United for Arsenal, Liverpool or Manchester United, calling the claims “a load of rubbish” and saying he wants to focus on becoming a Newcastle legend. His comments followed a four-goal performance in Newcastle’s 6-1 Champions League win away to Qarabağ, although he said he should have scored six. Gordon and manager Eddie Howe cautioned that the tie is not over despite the commanding result, while Newcastle’s hopes of winning silverware remain alive in the Champions League and FA Cup.
The Mirror
Feb 2026
Newcastle suffer devastating blow as extent of Bruno Guimaraes injury emerges
Newcastle United captain Bruno Guimaraes is expected to miss up to eight weeks after suffering a hamstring injury during the 2-1 win over Tottenham. He is likely to be unavailable for the FA Cup tie at Aston Villa, both Champions League play-off legs against Qarabag and probably the Tyne-Wear derby against Sunderland, while midfielder Lewis Miley is also carrying a knee problem. Although reports suggested a possible 10-week absence, Newcastle anticipate Guimaraes will return by April, and people close to him remain optimistic that he can recover ahead of schedule. He is not expected to miss the end of the season or the World Cup finals.