RB
Robert Boddy
Politica e istituzioni · United Kingdom
Si occupa di
Politics & Government
Housing & Real Estate
Breaking News & General Assignment
Social Issues & Demographics
Criminal Justice & Courts
Environment & Climate
Visto su
Lavori pubblicati
KentOnline
Aug 2026
Opinion: So, we got the result we always knew was coming in Clacton, but for what?
Nigel Farage’s decision to trigger a Clacton by-election delivered the expected victory but failed to produce the wider political benefits he appeared to seek. The absence of major-party challengers weakened any claim that he had defeated the establishment, while the large field of eccentric candidates—especially Count Binface—diverted media attention from Farage. The six-week absence from Parliament also coincided with improving Labour polling under Prime Minister Andy Burnham, continued standards investigations involving Farage and Richard Tice, and renewed doubts about Reform UK’s momentum. The by-election may therefore be remembered as a strategic misstep rather than a political gain.
KentOnline
Aug 2026
Esquire Developments Ltd applies for scoping opinion for 825 homes on orchard off Pump Lane in Rainham
Esquire Developments Ltd has submitted a scoping opinion request for up to 825 homes on a 51-hectare orchard site off Pump Lane in Rainham. The proposed scheme would also include temporary accommodation, shops, community facilities, a care home, schools and public parks. The site was previously rejected for a larger housing development because of impacts on highways, landscape and local heritage, but Medway Council later allocated it for housing in its draft local plan. Residents’ group Stop Pump Lane Development and Gillingham and Rainham MP Naushabah Khan oppose the proposal, citing threats to the orchard, biodiversity, traffic capacity, infrastructure and the adequacy of consultation. The campaign plans to challenge the allocation at public hearings.
KentOnline
Aug 2026
Kent Police was forced to pay £13,000 to Medway Council and Gillingham shopowner over ‘generic’ evidence in failed appeal of alcohol licence
Medway Magistrates’ Court upheld Medway Council’s decision to grant an alcohol licence for the proposed conversion of The Monarch pub in Gillingham into a convenience store, with sales ultimately restricted to 11am–9pm. The court found that Kent Police’s appeal relied on generic evidence that added little weight to its case concerning antisocial behaviour, litter and alcohol-related crime. Kent Police was ordered to pay £3,000 to Medway Council and £10,000 to applicant Jeyakanthan Kailayapillai. Although the shop was never opened, the force said it would continue working with the council and local businesses under Medway’s cumulative impact assessment framework.
KentOnline
Aug 2026
Medway Council leader hits out at rumours that Mountbatten House redevelopment will be used by London boroughs or asylum seekers
Medway Council leader Vince Maple has rejected rumours that the 164 flats being created at Mountbatten House in Chatham will be sold to London boroughs or used to house asylum seekers. He said there is no secret agreement with Lewisham and that the redevelopment is intended to support Medway and Chatham town-centre regeneration. The rumours appear partly linked to nearby Anchorage House, which was bought by a private housing association working for Newham Council, and to wider concern about London boroughs placing homeless households in Kent. Medway Development Company says it is marketing the properties locally, conducting checks on prospective buyers and working to improve transparency.
KentOnline
Aug 2026
Medway Maritime Hospital staff considering career changes after latest parking charge increases leave some reliant on part-time work
Medway Maritime Hospital raised its standard daily parking charge from £9.20 to £15 on August 1, while other tariffs also increased. Staff say the additional costs, combined with a 20% cut to bank-shift pay, are forcing some to take part-time work in pubs or consider leaving the NHS. They warn that reduced staffing and pressure to work outside specialties could affect safety and patient care. Medway NHS Foundation Trust says the revenue will fund car-park maintenance, security and equipment, while eligible staff can use permits or a free off-site shuttle service. Medway Council and UNISON have criticized the decision and called for greater consultation and reconsideration.
KentOnline
Jul 2026
Medway Council to consider developing Wigmore Coach Park into traveller site after fighting court case and refusing planning application from those living there
Medway Council is considering spending £2.684 million to convert the former Wigmore Coach Park into a permanent Gypsy and Traveller site with eight pitches for 10 touring caravans, potentially expanding it by six further pitches. The proposal follows a court ruling against the council’s attempt to evict families from the site, its subsequent refusal of their planning application, and the application’s approval on appeal. Planning inspectors have said Medway’s Local Plan provides too few traveller pitches, requiring 56 by 2041 while identifying only 26. Council officers recommend proceeding, but Conservative councillor Andrew Lawrence is expected to seek greater scrutiny, citing the lack of public consultation, borrowing costs and possible effects on a nearby Redrow housing scheme. Supporters argue the plan addresses long-standing underprovision and offers security to families who have faced repeated enforcement action.
KentOnline
Jul 2026
Medway Council Trading Standards and Kent Police seize £25,000 of illegal cigarettes and tobacco in raids in Chatham, Strood, Gillingham and Twydall
Medway Council Trading Standards and Kent Police seized 58,200 illegal cigarettes and 24kg of hand-rolling tobacco during raids in Chatham, Strood, Gillingham and Twydall on July 14 and 15. Specialist dogs Bran and Griff located tobacco hidden in electronically operated compartments, false walls and beneath shop shelving, despite attempts to mask the scent with mothballs. Dog handler Stu Phillips said concealments have become increasingly sophisticated and that criminals previously placed a £25,000 bounty on one of his dogs. An arrest was made, investigations remain ongoing, and authorities warned that illicit tobacco sales can lead to fines of up to £10,000, prosecution and links to organized crime.
KentOnline
Jul 2026
Allhallows Parish Council votes no confidence in Medway Council’s Chris Spalding
Allhallows Parish Council has voted no confidence in independent Medway councillor Chris Spalding, citing longstanding issues and joining Stoke and St Mary Hoo councils in taking the same position. Spalding denies wrongdoing, says the vote followed his criticism of spending on transport advice related to Catesby Estates’ proposed 350-home development, and refuses to resign. He is also awaiting a Medway Council conduct committee decision concerning an allegation that he improperly sought £5,600 from St Mary Hoo. The symbolic vote bars him from parish committee meetings but does not remove him as Medway Council’s representative.
KentOnline
Jul 2026
Barratt Homes and Redrow Homes plans for 450-home Gibraltar Farm development set for approval in Capstone Valley
Detailed plans for 450 homes at the former Gibraltar Farm site in the Capstone Valley are recommended for approval by Medway Council’s planning committee. The development, to be built by Barratt Homes and Redrow Homes, will include 450 properties, including 113 affordable homes, alongside playgrounds, sports fields, gardens, parking and other infrastructure. The scheme has attracted hundreds of objections over traffic, infrastructure capacity, public transport and the loss of agricultural land. Maidstone Borough Council has also raised concerns about the space allocated for a possible connection to the contested Lidsing Garden Community, although Medway planning officers say sufficient provision has been made. Outline permission was granted in 2024 despite local opposition, with officials citing the risk of costly appeals if permission were refused.
KentOnline
Jul 2026
OPINION: 'Listen here, Andy, follow my lead and you're guaranteed to succeed...'
Robert Boddy humorously addresses new Prime Minister Andy Burnham, urging him to challenge political punditry, expose inconsistent criticisms of relocating government activity outside London, and reject simplistic claims that policies resemble the 1970s. The column welcomes early Labour measures such as cutting VAT on energy bills and expresses cautious hope for a more dynamic government, while acknowledging uncertainty about Burnham’s longevity amid public impatience. It ends with a deliberately unrealistic request for the prime minister to fix all the country’s problems.
KentOnline
Jul 2026
Approval of Gladman Developments Ltd’s 240-home scheme on Hoo upheld but refused Taylor Wimpey’s adjacent 450-home plans awaits final decision
Gladman Developments’ 240‑home scheme in Hoo St Werburgh has been approved and upheld on appeal, while Taylor Wimpey’s adjacent 450‑home proposal was rejected by Medway Council and is now awaiting the outcome of an appeal. Independent Group councillors argued both projects lacked adequate infrastructure support and relied on an uncertain Local Plan. Planning officers defended the process, and inspectors will make the final decisions. The Gladman approval stands, with disagreements limited to developer contributions, while the Taylor Wimpey scheme continues through the appeals process after being unanimously refused for concerns over merging nearby communities and harming local character.
KentOnline
Jul 2026
Love Gillingham events, including the third annual Big Day Out and the Medway Mile, to take place
A weekend of community events under the Love Gillingham banner will include the Medway Mile, a European and Romanian market, and the third Big Day Out featuring entertainment, workshops, and food stalls. The programme aims to celebrate the town and highlight ongoing regeneration work funded through local and national initiatives. Local officials emphasise improvements to the high street, anti‑social behaviour reduction efforts, and broader community engagement, encouraging residents to participate across the three days.
KentOnline
Jul 2026
Medway Council to undertake 10 weeks of roadworks on junction between Mierscourt Road and A2 High Street, Rainham
Medway Council will close the junction of Mierscourt Road and the A2 High Street in Rainham for 10 weeks starting July 22 to improve traffic flow and accessibility. Planned works include lane improvements, removal of islands, upgraded crossings, new lighting, landscaping, and bus stop adaptations. Mierscourt Road will be fully closed between the A2 and Longford Close for much of the project, with bus diversions in place. Additional overnight resurfacing will temporarily close parts of the A2. The project, delivered by Marlborough Highways, is scheduled to finish by September 30, with officials saying the long-term benefits justify the temporary disruption.
KentOnline
Jul 2026
Pride in Place neighbourhood boards now accepting applications for residents to decide how £60m of government money should be spent
Three Medway areas—Twydall, Rede Common in Strood and Luton—will each receive £20 million from the UK Government’s Pride in Place scheme, and residents may now apply to join neighbourhood boards that will determine how the money is spent. The boards, made up mainly of local people along with MPs and councillors, will allocate £2 million per year over the next decade to improve high streets, community facilities and public spaces. Medway Council is currently seeking chairpersons for each board before selecting additional members, with applications closing between July 15 and 27 depending on the area.
KentOnline
Jul 2026
Planning Inspectorate upholds Medway Council’s refusal of Richborough Estates Ltd scheme for 800 homes off A289 in Wainscott
Planning inspectors upheld Medway Council’s refusal of an 800‑home development proposed by Richborough Estates Ltd for a site near the A289 in Wainscott, citing insufficient transport connections, landscape harm and conflicts with the emerging Local Plan. The inquiry concluded that the project’s adverse impacts outweighed its housing benefits. Local councillors welcomed the decision as support for strategic planning, while the developer expressed disappointment and is considering next steps.
KentOnline
Jul 2026
Medway Council to change council tax rules to prevent Universal Credit recipients losing out and avoid possible legal challenges
Medway Council approved a rule change to exclude transitional protection element payments from income calculations for Universal Credit recipients seeking council tax reductions. The move follows a High Court ruling that counting these payments as income is unlawful, and aims to prevent residents from losing access to discounts while reducing the risk of legal challenges. The adjustment, expected to reduce council tax revenue by about £180,000, will take effect immediately and is intended to simplify the system and protect vulnerable residents.
KentOnline
Jul 2026
Medway Council to introduce new licence fees for mobile home parks from next year
Medway Council approved new annual licence fees for mobile home parks to cover inspection and licensing costs beginning April next year. Charges will range from about £345 to £1,532 depending on park size, with additional penalties for non‑compliance. Councillor Louwella Prenter said the fees ensure proper standards and support vulnerable residents, emphasising that the council will not profit from the changes.
KentOnline
Jul 2026
The Cricketers in Gillingham applies to extend hours and add a garden bar in licence request
A Gillingham pub has applied to Medway Council for extended opening hours and permission to create an outdoor garden bar to meet rising demand and better manage customer flow. New landlord Simon Thomas says the venue has become a community hub offering events such as bingo, music nights and charity activities. The proposal seeks later closing times inside the pub while setting earlier limits for the outdoor bar, along with supervision measures to reduce disruption for neighbours. Councillors will review the application at an upcoming hearing.
KentOnline
Jul 2026
Medway Council submits plans for £44m 80-bed care home which it would run once constructed
Medway Council has submitted plans for a £44 million, 80‑bed care home on the southern section of Innovation Park Medway after shifting the site's purpose due to a lack of business interest. The proposal includes dementia nursing beds, respite and discharge‑to‑assess facilities, and 11 adult social care units aimed at supporting independence. The Labour‑run council redirected the project after reviewing earlier unproductive spending, despite opposition from Conservative and Reform UK councillors who raised affordability concerns. Designs have been completed, the planning application was submitted on July 1, and the northern section of the site remains earmarked for a business campus.